Tuesday, March 8, 2016

International Women's Day (why we need it, why women are fabulous)

It's international Women's Day. Now on one hand I say 'I wish we didn't need a day, I wish we were just equal' on the other hand I say 'Women are fabulous damn right we're having a day to celebrate'

So let's start with the negative. On a most micro 'first world problems' level the reasons behind a need for 'International Women's Day' were perfectly illustrated yesterday when I shared this article from a fantastic women-centred magazine 'Standard Issue' Everyday Sexism Subversion's. In this article one of the light hearted but with a serious undertone comments were 'become a Dr then you'll have a gender neutral title and get better jobs' Having been awarded my PhD and therefore the right to use 'Dr' I commented that it was indeed useful not to have to be defined by a) gender and b) marital status. Among the 'charming' responses I received on twitter was the notion that 1. only angry feminist like myself would 'demand' to be addressed as Dr and 2. I should be using Miss or Mrs so people know I'm available.

So far so 1920s right? In the scheme of things this means little, I had a little rant. Some friends and I firmly put him in his place, it passed a bit of Monday afternoon and inspired a blog post. It didn't hurt me personally in any real sense because I know his opinions don't matter personally. But it does hurt me and women in a wider sense, because it demonstrates the ingrained everyday sexism that leads to our bigger issues.

Because the micro aggressions and everyday sexism is the wider issue. And that we so often just 'put up' with it because it's easier is part of the bigger issue. Now in no way am I saying you have to fight every battle, not at all. Women we can't do that; we'd be existed for a start. But that's why days like International Women's Day are important, because it gives us a chance to stand collectively and say 'This isn't ok'.

And International Women's Day lets us talk about the bigger issues as well. The pay gap, the glass ceiling, sexual violence, women's health care. All of these are vital conversations we should be having more often, but if a day in the calendar helps us to focus, gets the world's attention, then even better.

Now for the other side of things, this day should also be about celebrating women. Yes, we should be challenging the issues, commemorating our history and fighting for our future. But also what's so wrong with stopping for a day and saying 'Women are brilliant, here are some of my favourites'.

And your favourites don't have to be suffragettes or famous scientists or women who died for a cause. Those women are important and fantastic, but they might not be the women who influenced you. And that's ok. This day is about saying ANY woman is important, influential and to be celebrated.

I admit as a woman on international women's day I felt a bit rubbish this morning. I had a piece published on 'Influential Women in Culture' as part of a compilation piece. All the other women were artistic or 'important' women from literature, politics, art. And mine? Well mine was Gillian Anderson.

I admit I felt like the grubby low-brow working class eejit I am. Clearly I was stupid, non-intellectual and everyone would laugh at me for picking a TV actress famous for, even worse, a Sci-Fi show. I felt like 'my' woman and therefore me as a woman weren't good enough.

And then I thought fuck it. I was honest, I sat and thought about that article and what woman culturally I'd like to write about. And sure there are lots and lots of really awesome theatre women, or women academics or authors I could have gone with. But I thought back to when I was a teenager and the first women who influenced me to be strong and clever and eventually to choose my career path was Gillian Anderson. She taught me about accepting my body for what it was, that beauty was relative, and that to speak your mind was good. Maybe I didn't grow up reading Anais Nin. Maybe my choice is a bit 'low brow', but I'm still damn proud of the woman who influenced me, and the woman she influenced me to be.

We should be celebrating all women. From the big 'important' women who break down barriers, who are first to do things and lead the way in their careers, and for women. To the characters on TV and film and books and theatre that inspire us. To the actors who play them, to the singers or performers who we love. To our friends and family. All these women are brilliant important people. It shouldn’t be a sliding scale of importance, we shouldn't be ashamed to say 'this is the woman who influenced me' there are enough men out there who want to put us in a box and hide us away, we shouldn't help them.


So to all the women on International Women's Day: you are fabulous. Do what you do with pride, love the other women around you. And let's start moving towards this day not needing to be anything more than a celebration of how brilliant we are.

No comments:

Post a Comment