Thursday, December 31, 2015

2015? 2016?

So the last post was more of a negative reflection on what has been, frankly a pretty rubbish year in many respects.

So I decided to list the things I have achieved this year (who doesn't love a list right?) and some aims for the next year. It's also part of my determination to stop viewing the world in terms of academic year, and get back to calander years like the real people do.

1. I finished, like properly finsihed the PhD.

To be honest I'm going to claim this one for about the next 5 years. To finally, finally get all the corrections in, signed off, and submit the damn thing for the final time is still an achievement. And one I'm happy to be leaving far behind me.

2. Got a job.

3. Survived 6 months in the job.
This is factual information. Interpret the wording as you will.

4. Got to fulfil a dream in giving a post-show theatre talk (no really, as a usher who sat through too many a post-show talk I always wanted to give one, and I gave 2) in London, in the West End, for a show I adore, using my PhD. This is actually possibly my favourite thing this year.

5. Got taken on as a reviewer by Wales Arts Review. And at the end of the year by Buzz magazine too.

6. As a result of 5. actually got invited to shows to review. And got great feedback from all sorts of people/areas about my writing.

7. Started to make contacts in my local theatre community again, and started to feel like there was a possablity of being part of that community as well.

8. Presented a paper based on my PhD at a conference that was actually talior made to my PhD topic.

9. Got to take my Mum on holiday to New York as a thank you for supporting me through the previous 4 years.

10. Became a board member of a theatre company that I'm passionate about.

11. Wrote lots (but not enough)

12.  Flawlessly learned the rap from 'Satisfied' in Hamilton. This may be my greatest achievment this year. I'm not kidding.


I did a lot of great things in 2015:

1. Went to New York with my Mum. It was good to be 'home' again. And to have an actual holiday.
2. Went to London, a lot, spent a lot of time with great people.
3. Went to Downton Abbey (Highclare Castle) it's nerdy but it makes me happy.
4. Got to go to the theatre a lot, got to see a lot of things I wouldn't see through reviewing.
5. Got to have a social life again after 4 years of not.

Things that I learned this year:

1. Academia is not for me, and that's ok.
2. Everything takes time. It's painful, and slow and a pain in the arse but it takes time.
3. The right people, the people that matter will appreciate your work if yo make it good enough.
4. It's still worth it to chase after what you love.
5. You don't need many real friends, but they're the ones that matter.

Favourite things from this year:

1. Awkward rapping in my car to the Hamilton cast recording. General return of my musical theatre nerdiness.
2. The X Files being (almost back) and Gillian Anderson just in general (ok and David)
3. All the wonderful theatre. I can't choose, but here's my 2015 review blog here
4. All the wonderful nerdy tv shows and falling down the nerdy rabbit holes associated with them (Hannibal, Supernatural I'm looking at you)
5. My Nespresso machine. Really, it's an intense relationship.
6. Running. Who knew right?

Things I would like from 2016:
(Rather than resolutions, I'm calling this a wish list)

1. A job that I can really throw my mind and heart behind.
2. Make some more use of the damn PhD.
3. Write a new play. Convince someone to perform it.
4. Run more. Join in races of some kind.
5. Spend time with the people who matter, forget the ones who don't.
6. Go on a date. An actual real person date. (I'm not being as sweeping to say anything about relationships here, I'd frankly settle for a damn date)
7. Travel more. Starting with Portugal in January (hooray head start there)
8. Change my hair. (Blonde? longer? any advice?)
9. Find one new hobby. It's time to mix things up now I have lesiure time again.
10. Say yes to more things. (just not drugs, kids, always say no to drugs)

No comments:

Post a Comment