Thursday, May 23, 2019

Clumsy Girl Running (quite far it seems)

My life is filled with potentially stupid decisions. And today was no exception.

Somehow between getting up and my second cup of coffee, I'd signed up for the Cardiff Half Marathon.

I'm not entirely sure how this happened.

Actually, I am. My friend Matryn said he was and someone got me from 'Hmm I'd like to do that one day' to 'You're doing it in October.' And I may just chase him the whole way for revenge.

Really I have thought for many years about doing it. But never quite got there. So if not now when right?

I'm not a natural athlete. I was the fat uncoordinated accident prone kid at school who hated PE with a burning passion. But one thing that always shocked my classmates, and my teachers is that I wasn't terrible at Cross Country. Not 'be invited onto the team' good (I don't think my shitty comp had a team) but that I made it back far from last, seemed to shock them.

Because shock horror running in a straight (ish) line slowly but consistently, wasn't...actually that difficult? And that actually the fat uncoordinated kid, wasn't totally unfit because she also did a lot of swimming and spent every weekend messing about with horses. But I'm so, so accident prone so distance running always seemed a recipe for disaster.

As a grown up I've never had any tolerance for group sporting activity. I can fall over thin air. I can't catch kick or hit a ball. Gym classes give me flashbacks to PE and sports where balls fly at my nose are best avoided. But I've always enjoyed a run. And the gym.

Again people seem shocked. The bookish nerdy chubby one likes to exercise. But it's been my saviour mental health wise. And general sanity-wise.

Through my teacher training, through my PhD and every shitty job in between, I've always gone to the gym and run.

And now more than ever I feel I need something that is not my career, and work to focus on. So for the next 20 weeks or so I've got something. Something where I have to take time out of my day to do something, otherwise I'll never get around. Something where I have a goal to work towards that's not linked to career. And that feels like something I really do need.

This last year, this last 6 months more so has been so consumed, day and night by work. Lack of work. Career. Lack of career. I don't do anything really (other than collapsing into a heap AND going to the gym) that isn't career-adjacent. And that's fine, it's a choice. I have downtime, it's not totally unhealthy. But I need a goal, something for me, something that's only marker of success is 'doing it'. And I'm really looking forward to just doing something for the sake of doing the thing. And for hopefully doing some good at the same time.

I'm running for Big Moose. A small charity based in Cardiff.

I chose them firstly because Matryn, who got me into this mess, is running for them. But also because they are a small local charity. I also really admire what they stand for; leaving the world a better place. Their coffee shop (and I do love coffee) which employs and more importantly trains homeless people, so that they can go out into the world and work, and get back on their feet. This and so many of their other projects directly help people in the local community, and it seems like the perfect company to support by dragging my sorry arse around a half marathon. More about them here here

Also, I'm an honourary Canadian, so let's face it ya had me at 'Moose'

So yes I'll become a running bore. Yes, I will bitch and moan like nobody's business about it. But it'll be worth it.

As a side note the Half Marathon is the day after my play closes in Cardiff, so that's quite a week. And also feels like a bit of a bookend for 'whatever is next' and if nothing else, if you hate the play, feel free to chuck something at me as I run by your house....

No comments:

Post a Comment